It’s been a packed school-year so far at The Buffalo Academy of Scholars! Students have experienced and explored so much already, from volunteering at Buffalo City Mission to writing an entire novel! Take a look at some of things we’ve been doing.
Went hiking at Stony Brook State Park. We had a picnic, played Capture the Flag and breathed in that fresh country air!
- Visited a rainy Fort Niagara to learn about and explore the amazing history of the fort
- Students and teachers helped to organize food donations at Buffalo City Mission to encourage a sense of team and community spirit!
- Learned about breaking boundaries and challenging oneself with a visit from guest speaker Jim Cielencki – a runner who ran every street in Buffalo, and then gave a TEDx Buffalo talk about his experiences!
- Attended a Veteran’s Day memorial and took a tour of USS Sullivans, USS Little Rock and USS Croaker at the Buffalo and Erie County Military and Naval Park. Students learned about the lives of US navy personnel during the time the vessels were active
- We went all ‘literary’ and wrote an entire novel in just one month. Students completed NaNoWriMo where they are challenged to write a novel in the month of November. J.K Rowling, watch out!
- Took advantage of the #firstfridays and got a culture top-up at the Albright Knox art gallery
- Students and teachers re-visited Buffalo City Mission to help organize the Thanksgiving food donations
- We all enjoyed a students and teachers Thanksgiving pot-luck lunch. Buffalo Wings and Mrs M’s chili were the big hits of the day, of course!
- The whole school went to the Pearl Harbor Memorial at the Buffalo and Erie County Military Naval Park, Canalside
- All students prepared and took part in a college-style debate in front of staff members
- Watched a livestream of the inauguration of the 45th President of the United States at the Buffalo History Museum. We also toured the exhibits and learned about the history of this great city!
- Students suggested and voted for their elective classes this quarter.
Here’s to the rest of the year being just as jam-packed with opportunities to think, solve, create and explore!